We believe in creating an environment where our placement students really can learn and develop during their time with us and where they are given their own areas of responsibilities from the start. Our experts and mentors will treat you as part of the team from day one, encouraging you to bring your own ideas to the table and giving you the opportunity to really show what you can do.
Our Summit ONE in Farnborough is home to the National Sales Company for the BMW Group in the UK, as well as BMW Group Financial Services which offers retailers, corporate and private customers a range of customised financial services. Alphabet (GB) Ltd. as a leading provider of Business Mobility Services is also located in Farnborough. We decided in November 2020 to bring together BMW Financial Services and Alphabet to stay relevant to our customers and continue to succeed in a rapidly changing business environment.
Within our self-contained campus, we offer a modern way of working with an empowering office culture, some aspects of which include:
• Our work persona shift – being yourself is effortless and so increases efficiency. For this reason we allow our employees to express themselves through the way they dress. • Flexible working hours - working flexibly improves mental perspective and increases sustained productivity. This means our leaders maintain balance, not burnout, through focusing on output, not attendance. • The opportunity to get involved with our continued support to our house charity with a variety of fundraising events throughout the year. • Throughout our offices there are open creative spaces which hold facilities such as table-tennis tables to encourage innovation and employee engagement.
BMW UK, National Sales Company, Farnborough - Indirect Purchasing - 13 Month Placement (July 2024)
The Purchasing Team is based at Farnborough and is responsible for all UK Indirect Purchasing from construction through to IT Services, Marketing, Events, Temporary Labour, Logistics and much more. The team work cohesively with other buying departments across Europe to ensure delivery of a robust range of service back to the business. Brands that we support include BMW, MINI, Motorrad, Alphabet, BMW Financial Services and Rolls-Royce across our various UK locations at Farnborough, Oxford, Swindon, Goodwood, Hams-Hall & Thorne.
What will you be doing?
In this busy Purchasing department no two days are ever the same. The Indirect Purchasing team is responsible for supporting the business to find the best cost effective solution in the market, which includes activities such as the following:
Supplier sourcing and competition
Supporting the business with formulation of detailed specifications
Supplier due diligence – including compliance checks and Supplier assessments
Management of the full end-to-end tendering process
Negotiation of pricing and contract terms & conditions
Supplier and contract management
What could a typical day look like?
Management of small-scale purchasing requests, including commercial negotiations.
Supporting other purchasers with more significant projects and tender processes.
Assisting the department with supplier onboarding process.
Supporting with commodity strategy planning (including data collection and analysis)
Managing internal business stakeholders, especially regarding Purchasing best practice and processes.
Leading small projects at a local market level, potentially internationally.
Helping with the department tasks and administration, e.g. reporting.
Providing purchasing system training and support.
Participation in departmental activities such as teambuilding and workshops
What should you take away from the Internship?
An enhanced workplace skill-set, including but not limited to:
Teamwork and collaboration skills.
Prioritisation, organisation, and time management skills.
Negotiation and influencing skills.
Development of a wide network within the BMW Group and also the supplier network.
Development of core workplace skills including preparation of presentations and organisation of events/meetings
Concrete experience of indirect purchasing environment such as: systems, processes, basic commercial contract laws.
The ability to articulate the role that Purchasing plays in the wider business objectives of an organisation and how it contributes to its overall success.
Studying towards a Bachelor's degree in any discipline, but ideally with a business focus and on course to achieve (2:2 or above).
Experience of MS Suite, in particular Excel, Word and Powerpoint
Self-motivated and able to take responsibility for tasks and projects
Willingness to work flexibly
Good communication and teamworking skills
A European language to A level is an advantage, although not essential
Why choose us?
· Great Pay – A competitive annual salary of £21,600, 27 days holiday per annum (pro rata to your contract)and an attractive pension scheme.
· Rewarding Work-Life Balance – Contracted working hours are 37.5 hours a week Monday to Friday, helping you develop a fulfilling work-life balance.
· Exciting Additional Benefits – You will have the opportunity to enjoy other employee benefits, including access to our Advantages scheme which gives you a range of offers, discounts, and a subsidised on-site restaurant.
What are we responsible for?
· Supporting you in your training and ensuring you settle into your role and feel welcomed.
· Working sustainably and ethically.
· Providing you with the opportunity to bring your own ideas and develop yourself.
· Ensuring you are happy with your work-life balance and feel as though your contribution to the business is being valued.
· Encouraging you to develop your soft skills such as creating working relationships, communicating effectively, delivering presentations and gaining confidence in your own ability, supporting you in both your return to university and your future career.
What do you need to do now?
If this sounds like the opportunity for you then apply today using the link below.
The next stages of the recruiting process could include: online testing, video interview and then a face to face, telephone or virtual interview with the hiring manager. This may be in the form of an assessment centre.
We operate rolling recruitment, this means we may close the application window earlier than identified, if sufficient applications are received, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Please ensure that you complete all of the free text questions for your application to be progressed, and include a role relevant cover letter, explaining why we should consider you for this position.
To be eligible for this position, you must be returning to your studies, for a minimum of 6 months, after completion of this placement, and be able to provide proof of your legal right to work in the UK, if you are not a UK passport holder.
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 31st January 2024
Any further questions? Email us on FutureTalentRecruitment@bmwgroup.com