The Safety Specialist:
- Serves as the safety specialist for the designated department in risk identification, avoidance, analysis, planning, problem solving, and implementation of safety improvements.
- Key areas of responsibility include department safety steering, providing technical safety compliance expertise, launch and series involvement, and analytics/problem solving.
- Conducts, schedules, and coordinates audits of safety and health management systems to ensure compliance with regulatory and management system requirements and provides feedback to affected management.
- Serves as subject matter expert for all ISO 45001 topics.
- Develop and administer BMW document management process and assist in the implementation of global programs.
- Develops and implements department safety strategies and annual business plan such as setting objectives and programs and project monitoring with a strategic focus on efficiency.
- Benchmarks and introduces new safety technology within scope of the plant.
- Analyzes new and existing jobs, processes, products, systems, to recommend and steer implementation of engineering safety controls in a highly automated environment determining the severity, probability, and outcome of hazards.
- Assesses risks of new technology, automation, process modifications, and machine systems. Examples: Robotics, PLCs, Safety Controllers, Conveyance Systems, Safety Devices, Laser Applications, Chemical Delivery Systems, Electrical Safety, Ergonomics, etc.
- Maintains knowledge of US safety regulations and relevant consensus standards, legislation, and safeguarding techniques and provides subject matter expert direction to engineers and planners.
- Develops and improves the plant safety and equipment specifications for new technology, lessons learned, and performs standards updates.
- Owns a plant level subject matter expertise in one of the elements of occupational safety and actively develops that expertise.
- Serves as the system administrator and/or subject matter expert for safety database systems (ProcessMAP, QUISS, DMS, and other safety management tools).
- Serves as an expert and authority for compliance, incident investigations, statistical analysis and other departmental safety inquiries.
- Performs and develops plant specific safety training, new hire orientation, management safety training, as well as other training as conditions require.
- Leads the daily operations in the plant to include supporting, sustaining, and improving all safety programs, tasks, communications, investigations, reporting etc.
- Supports I.H.S., EIP, and Workers Compensation in needed investigations, claim closures, legal support, etc.
- Understands and models VPS (Value Added Production System) Principles and concepts of Standard Work and Problem Solving.
- Manages department budget and reports status on regular basis, includes monitoring, and continuous forecasting within SAP.
- Adheres to 6S and Safety Standards and Principles.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
BMW Manufacturing is a leader in innovations and excellence. Come be a part of the extraordinary advanced manufacturing team where new technologies and ideas are constantly being discovered and implemented.
BMW Manufacturing is proud to be located in Upstate, South Carolina at the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, providing the perfect mix of exciting city life and the great outdoors, or simply a great environment in which to raise a family.
In addition to offering a stimulating work environment and a great place to live, BMW Associates have access to an exceptional range of benefits. Our comprehensive benefits program includes:
- Medical, Dental, Prescription and Vision coverage
- Paid time off
- 401(k) plan with company matching contribution
- Retirement Income Account
- Life insurance
- BMW Associates Assistance Program
- Medical Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Company vehicle program
- BA/BS Degree (Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Ergonomics or other safety related discipline).
- 5+ years of professional experience in industrial safety to include experience in ergonomics, industrial hygiene, and safety management systems (ISO 45001).
- ISO 45001 Lead Auditor (preferred).
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), GSP, or ASP (required)
- Certified Professional Ergonomist (CIH) (preferred)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CPE) (preferred)
- 5+ years knowledge in OSHA General Industry Standards.
- 5+ years related experience in implementing and maintaining effective safety and health management systems (i.e., OHSAS 18001, ISO 45001) preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- 3+ years verbal and written communication skills as proven through business application.
- 3+ years MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel software skills.
- 1+ years knowledge of controls, safety devices and systems.
- Basic ability to train groups of individuals in an effective manner as proven through business application.
BMW Manufacturing Company is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of BMW MC to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all qualified persons regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Employment with BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC (BMW MC) is at-will and may be terminated at any time, with or without notice, at the option of BMW MC or the employee.