Aftersales Product EHS Regulatory Compliance Program Manager
As an independent group of companies, the BMW Group has a commitment to creativity and breakthrough ideas that goes well beyond the racetrack. In order to continuously create ultimate driving machines, we drive our growth and design excellence by staffing our teams with individuals who are innovative and always looking for the next great idea. If you share our vision and view yourself as an independent, creative thinker, we invite you to join our team in this exceptional role located in Woodcliff Lake, NJ.
The Aftersales Product EHS Regulatory Compliance Program Manager will oversee company governance for environmental, health and safety (EHS) product regulatory compliance, designing and implementing approaches, plans and programs aligned to BMW Group Technical Compliance Management System (TCMS). This position plays a crucial role in managing compliance and minimizing financial risk by proactively offering the business alternatives to costly and preventable regulatory impacts on the Aftersales product portfolio.
This position will serve as a subject matter expert for US EHS product compliance to keep pace with evolving federal and state regulations impacting Aftersales products and lead development of instructions, management system compliance instruments and risk assessment tools relevant to product compliance within scope of responsibility.
The Aftersales Product EHS Regulatory Compliance Program Manager will interpret regulations for potential impacts and provide guidance and support to BMW NSC USA and RRMC NA Aftersales business units to prevent or minimize impact of regulatory requirements. He/she will communicate regulatory impacts to Development and Procurement groups within US and Munich Aftersales, as well as other relevant process partners.
This position will represent BMW NSC USA Aftersales in external EHS product policy and regulatory engagement. Participate in applicable industry associations. Proactively communicate relevant non-vehicular product compliance topics to impacted process partners and stakeholders. He/she will also execute compliance across in-scope product portfolio by conducting environmental and safety regulatory compliance assessment prior to product approval for sale in US market.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Strategic/Steering Compliance Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain compliance management system aligned to BMW Group Technical Compliance
- Management System (TCMS) to manage US environmental, health and safety (EHS) product regulatory compliance program for in-scope BMW NSC USA and RRMC NA Aftersales products.
- Function as subject matter expert for applicable US product EHS regulations including, but not limited to, EPA, TSCA, OSHA GHS/Hazard Communication, California Prop 65, California Safer Consumer Products, California Consumer Products Survey, IMERC, etc.
- Identify and manage EHS product compliance risks outside of established BMW NSC USA risk tolerance thresholds.
- Develop new product compliance approval system including workflow and creation of instructions to align NSC USA product compliance requirements with BMW Group TCMS.
- Manage the release of mandated environmental reports, consistent with internal dual-control principle, to assure data integrity. Maintain product compliance RASIC for in-scope, non-vehicular products.
- Develop and manage oversight process for suppliers who support BMW NSC USA product EHS compliance programs. Contribute relevant compliance criteria to supplier selection process and assure environmental and safety regulatory oversight audits are conducted.
- Manage external EHS consultants and their compliance support activities such as tracking and communicating new or proposed regulations or performing audits.
- Participate in Alliance for Automotive Innovation Substances of Concern working group and represent BMW NSC USA for Aftersales product regulatory compliance. Contribute comments, as needed, to promote awareness to business impact of proposed regulations.
Tactical Compliance Responsibilities
- Obtain and use electronic tools to manage new product compliance approval workflow, including an Aftersales product compliance database to track chemical regulatory requirements within scope.
- Communicate regulatory requirements effectively to multiple levels within the organization, tailoring message to the audience.
- Validate supplier chemical product SDS and product labels against regulatory requirements in OSHA GHS/Hazard Communication Standard.
- Maintain records, author, and submit environmental reports as required by regulatory entities such as the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and relevant state agencies. Reporting scope includes all nonvehicular products, except for TSCA Chemical Data Report (CDR), which also includes chemicals in imported vehicles.
- Master’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Science related discipline.
- Professional certification such as CHMM preferred
- Automotive parts & accessories experience preferred
- 10-12 years’ experience reading, interpreting, and applying environmental and/or health & safety product regulations.
- TSCA reporting and import experience required.
- OSHA Hazard Communication Standard experience required.
- California product environmental regulatory experience preferred.
- Operational experience with Aftermarket Parts Sales operations
- Chemical product management system experience.
- SharePoint and workflow development experience.
- SAP experience preferred.
- MS Office intermediate level or higher.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Comfortable presenting to group settings.
- Experience working with US market specific regulations & overall regulatory compliance.
- Performs more complex functions, understands principles, may teach others.
- Language: Fluent English, some German language ability (optional)
BMW NA is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.