Customs & Export Control Compliance Analyst
The Customs & Export Controls Compliance Analyst is responsible for assuring the best interests of BMW are met by providing effective and efficient assistance to the Customs and Export control team and by independently defining, operating, and running processes and systems as regards customs and export control. The selected candidate ensures compliance with all international trade regulations related to the Company's customs and export control business. As well keeps management informed of the benefits and costs of alternatives where they exist to support the near and long-term growth and profitability targets of the BMW Group. This is a time limited position expected to end in December 2026.
- Support the customs and export control governance efforts and ensure that all BMW entities operating in the US are fully compliant with US trade compliance regulations.
- Implement customs and export control processes and projects as assigned by management to include providing systems development support (requirements / testing);
- Maintain customs and export control process documentation and work instructions in accordance with management approvals;
- Support on the preparation, analysis, documentation, filing of any duty refund requested to the US authorities through the proper channels to ensure the proper financial impact in the business activities when importing/exporting.
- Develop processes, controls, record keeping and any audit preparation regarding duty payment and
- Support projects related to enhancement, implementation or developing of new systems and tools applying agile methodologies that involved any required exploration, mapping, user stories, testing cases or other activities required to make sure the business requirements are properly developed and implemented to enable the Customs team to manage customs processes and enhance compliance.
- Define, enable, run and operate processes and systems as related to customs and export control;
- Monitor processes performed by external service provider(s) to ensure compliance with regulations;
- Identify process gaps/inefficiencies/improvements, communicate to management and implement solutions as aligned with management;
- Drive efforts to minimize cost, reduce delays and secure the various supply chains with which BMW is involved as aligned with management.
- Foster professional education as required for customs and export control compliance and monitor the latest developments in US trade compliance legislation;
- Develop effective BMW network and partnerships as relevant for customs and export control processes and projects;
- Cross train and provide back up to the customs and export control team as assigned by management;
- Support internal and external trade compliance audit activities as assigned by management;
- Support risk assessments to identify customs and export control related compliance concerns and support implementation of their resolution;
- Serve as a consultant and provide necessary services to other departments concerning customs and export control issues;
- Support standardization and harmonization of customs and export control compliance operations and processes within US BMW entities in the assigned field / responsibility;
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Coordinate all customs related issues regarding the production plant and NSC establishing strategies to review and audit all import documentation necessary, managing the complete import process to ensure availability of the products in time at the lowest possible cost
- Provide guidance on export documents, including export permits, several local regulations
- Collaborate with various departments to ensure all import documentation and restrictions are met
- Resolve shipment issues, and possess the ability to determine when to elevate to management for resolution Collaborate with the different technologies at the plant, freight forwarders, customs brokers, and government agencies
- Ensure that all government and organizational policies are followed
Join the team at BMW of North America and enjoy a high-performance employment package which includes:
- Company paid Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Employee car program
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Retirement Income Account
- Bachelor’s Degree – preferably in International Business, International Studies or related field
- Master Degree desired
- 3+ years of experience in a customs and export control compliance
- 3+ years of knowledge of trade compliance (customs and export control) regulations
- 3+ years of experience demonstrating computer skills to include MS Office and Windows
- 2+ years of SAP experience or similar Trade compliance applications, especially in FI, MM, SD modules or SAP GTS
- 3+ years of experience demonstrating analytical skills
- 3+ years of experience working collaboratively in a team environment
- 3+ years of experience demonstrating effective communication skills
- 3+ years of experience working in a customer-focused environment
- Basic foreign language skills (German or Spanish) preferred
- International and/ or Industry Experience preferred
BMW NA is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.